We hope you are keeping healthy during these uncertain times. The global corona virus pandemic is creating a lot of disruption to social gatherings and normal business operations. This momentary pause is now extending to our public libraries and the Friends.
- The FLH BOOKS @ Marks bookstore is reopened as of Sep. 24
- The FLH warehouse is reopen to volunteers Sep. 24
- We are accepting donations Tuesday – Thursday by appointment
- The 73rd Annual Booksale has been canceled.
- Available now – FLH has books available for sale online!
- All Hawai‘i Public Libraries are still Closed – but they do offer select services
- Library Takeout Book Pickup & Drop Off
- Check out their online resources! Click on the “Browse” or “Learn” tabs.
- All public library Bookstores are closed.
- Any scheduled Friends booksale or other events on library property have been postponed.
- All public libraries have suspended acceptance of donated material.
- All physical programs and events will be cancelled at all 51 locations.
- Virtual Programs are happening now!
- All external meetings scheduled in Library meeting rooms will be cancelled or rescheduled.
- Bookmobile Services will be limited.
- All email notifications are turned off right now. Notifications will resume once they reopen.
- To reduce exposure, HSPLS is following best sanitation practices for workplaces.
- Please visit the HSPLS website for more information.
We have purchased an 11,747 SF facility suitable for our operations. We need your help to reach our goal! Help us continue to support public library programs and continue to provide affordable books to our community!
What do we do?
- More than 75 volunteers give their time year-round to process 750,000+ donations and store 150+ pallets of books & media for our sales in our warehouse.
- Our sales raise 50% of our revenues for Hawai‘iʻs 51 public libraries.
- The 8,000 SF warehouse that we currently rent is bursting at the seams!
- Industrial warehouse space in Honolulu is quickly disappearing and the time is now to secure a location for a stable future.
Support our Capital Campaign
- FLH History – Founded in 1879
- Historical Photos
- 50 Reasons Real Books are Vastly Superior to Ebooks
- Millennials May Prefer Reading Paper Books Over E-Books
- Parents and Toddlers Interact More When Reading Paper Books Versus E-books.
- The Surprising Comeback of Vinyl Records
- Paper Books vs eBooks: The State of the Art of Reading
- Why Digital Reading is No Substitute for Print
- Seven Reasons Why Ebook Sales are Falling – and Print Book Sales are Rising Again – Inc.
- Ebook sales continue to fall as younger generations drive appetite for print
Friends of the Library of Hawai‘i will have a large booth at the 30th Annual Hawai‘i Collectors Expo! The expo will take place February 21-23 at the Blaisdell Exhibition Hall. The Friendsʻ booth will have an assortment of odds and ends that are donated with the books and media we normally collect. You will find:
- Vintage Magazines
- Vintage Books
- Vintage Vinyl
- Cards – Collectors, Sports, Trading
- Toys & Games
- Art & Figurines
- and More!
There is a $5 daily general admission charge. Children under 11 are free or the cost is $2 for Seniors 65+. Military w/ID free. Find out more at www.HawaiiCollectorsExpo.com or call 265-1667. Dates & Times are:
- Friday: 4 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Sunday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.