We hope you are keeping healthy during these uncertain times. The global corona virus pandemic is creating a lot of disruption to social gatherings and normal business operations. This momentary pause is now extending to our public libraries and the Friends.
- The FLH BOOKS @ Marks bookstore and the Arts at Marks Garage gallery are open as of June 5th
- The FLH warehouse is open for volunteers. The warehouse has been reorganized and measures have been put in place to safely allow volunteer support.
- We are accepting donations by appointment. Call (808) 536.4174 to make an appointment. Donations will be accepted Tuesday-Thursday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- The 73rd Annual Booksale has been canceled.
- Available now – FLH has books available for sale online!
- All Hawai‘i Public Libraries are still Closed – but they do offer select services
- Check out their online resources! Click on the “Browse” or “Learn” tabs.
- All public library Bookstores are closed.
- Any scheduled Friends booksale or other events on library property have been postponed.
- All public libraries have suspended acceptance of donated material.
- All physical programs and events will be cancelled at all 51 locations.
- Virtual Programs are happening now!
- All external meetings scheduled in Library meeting rooms will be cancelled or rescheduled.
- Bookmobile Services will be limited.
- All email notifications are turned off right now. Notifications will resume once they reopen.
- To reduce exposure, HSPLS is following best sanitation practices for workplaces.
- Please visit the HSPLS website for more information.
We have identified a 13,000+ SF facility suitable for our operations. We need your help to reach our goal! Help us continue to support public library programs and continue to provide affordable books to our community!
What do we do?
- More than 75 volunteers give their time year-round to process 750,000+ donations and store 150+ pallets of books & media for our sales in our warehouse.
- Our sales raise 50% of our revenues for Hawai‘iʻs 51 public libraries.
- The 8,000 SF warehouse that we currently rent is bursting at the seams!
- Industrial warehouse space in Honolulu is quickly disappearing and the time is now to secure a location for a stable future.
Support our Capital Campaign
- FLH History – Founded in 1879
- Historical Photos
- 50 Reasons Real Books are Vastly Superior to Ebooks
- Millennials May Prefer Reading Paper Books Over E-Books
- Parents and Toddlers Interact More When Reading Paper Books Versus E-books.
- The Surprising Comeback of Vinyl Records
- Paper Books vs eBooks: The State of the Art of Reading
- Why Digital Reading is No Substitute for Print
- Seven Reasons Why Ebook Sales are Falling – and Print Book Sales are Rising Again – Inc.
- Ebook sales continue to fall as younger generations drive appetite for print
(Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the sale has been CANCELED)
An island tradition for 73 years . . .
The Friends of the Library of Hawai‘i (FLH) is unable to host the 73rd Annual Booksale, presented by Hawai‘i State Federal Credit Union (HSFCU) due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The sale was scheduled for mid-June 2020 but has been canceled for the safety of our patrons. We look forward to offering our fantastic selection of books and media online through this website soon!
At Hawai‘i’s largest used booksale, you can choose from over 150,000 books in every category imaginable!
Since 1947, the FLH Annual Sale has invited Hawai‘i residents to browse selections of new and used, out-of-print and bestselling books and media. 73-years later, the sale is an island tradition and each summer thousands readers of all ages and backgrounds converge on the McKinley High School cafeteria for 11 days of bargains and a selection of titles to rival any bookstore.
Your membership is important to us!
Become a member or renew your membership now. Mahalo for your Support!
Visit the Hawai‘i State Federal Credit Union website to learn more. FLH members may now join Hawai‘i State FCU!